Thursday, December 01, 2005

Chanoch Lanaar Al Pi Darko

I had originally planned on a different post for today, but listening to the Torah reading this morning, I had a change of heart. Stay tuned.....

The torah in this week’s parsha teaches us in reference to Yaakov and Eisav, “Vayigdalu Han’arim”, the boys grew up.

I would never say the following on my own, (ok, I would, but not as it relates specifically to our avos) but Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch (yes, that makes twice this week that I’m quoting him) explains that perhaps what went wrong with Eisav is that both he and Yaakov were raised the same way. By grouping the two together when the torah says “han’arim”, it implies that they both received the exact same education and upbringing. Had he received more indivualized attention and education perhaps he would have turned out differently.

All I can say is “WHOA”. Your thoughts?

5 Comments:

Blogger FrumGirl said...

Blame it all on the parents, lol.

December 01, 2005 4:51 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

It seems like Eisav was already messed up from conception so..I'm not sure..but it's definitely a true lesson.

December 01, 2005 8:18 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

individualized approach to Chinuch, very important indeed.

December 02, 2005 4:35 AM  
Blogger Mata Hari said...

I'm a firm believer in this concept. It's a really really difficult thing to implement, but it's so important to know your children well and to figure out what they need. I don't have any of my own (yet) but I do a lot of observing.

December 03, 2005 11:01 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

So true. It deserves more than just one post and I hope to address it when I have time.

December 17, 2005 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home