Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Time for some controversy

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions, right?
I can't believe I resisted this long, but my friend is not around now to hold my tongue so here goes.

What has become of Chabad/Lubavitch???

Years ago, when I was growing up Chabad/Lubavitch was synonymous with worldwide outreach and good. You were travelling, you needed to know where kosher food was, you needed a mikva (granted, I didn't know much about that when I was a kid, but when I got a little older), who you gonna call? not Ghostbusters..... you called the local Chabad/Lubavitch. I personally have a great work related story with travelling and Chabad/Lubavitch but now is not the time for that. The problem is, now, although they still do that good, it is far overshadowed by the Messianic lunacy. In fact, now, if anything, to most outsiders, Chabad/Lubavitch is synonymous with Christianity if anything. (Harsh words, I know)
Many millenia ago, people started serving the sun and the moon. why? Originally, they really had the best intentions. Similar to the maase ha'egel, they were looking to the sun and the moon to serve as an intermediary between them and Hashem. They felt that Hashem was too great and they couldn't possibly communicate with Him, so they needed to make use of Hashem's creations to serve as an intermediary. Although their intentions originally were pure and good, it was clearly not the derech that Hashem had in mind.
I know I tread on dangerous ground here, but this is the basis of the machlokes between chassidim and misnagdim. I know I referenced it somewhat in one of my previous posts, but the original machloksim were l'shaim shamayim. Chassidus reasoned that people felt out of touch with Hashem and needed an intermediary, and misnagdim were afraid of what that could lead to. Misnagdim had Rabbanim to look up to and to ask questions and advice of, but not to serve as an intermediary between man and G-d. What exactly were the misnagdim afraid of? Exactly what is happening in Chabad today. People have stopped looking at the Rebbe as an intermediary and have started to act as though he is the G-d. The Rebbe's role as an intermediary, basically came to an end when he was niftar. Yes, I hate to break it to you but the Rebbe is no longer alive.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that all of Lubavitch is like this. There are many wonderful Lubavitcher chassidim still carrying on the Rebbe's shlichus, and in that manner, in a healthy way, he will live on eternally. In fact, I have a Chabad/Lubavitch co-worker who refers to"them" as a bunch of lunatics.
I need to start wrapping this up because it's probably already too long as it is, but I will give you an example, of what I meant when I said before that "People have stopped looking at the Rebbe as an intermediary and have started to act as though he is the G-d. " Perhaps it's a small thing, but I was recently on a flight to Eretz Yisrael. I am not exaggerating to say that at least 85% of the flight was Chabad. All with the "Yechi Adonainu" on their kipas.
The Anshei Knesses Hagedola spent years redacting the seder hatefilla. This is the seder hatefilla that jews have been using for two thousand years. What a travesty that at the end of the tefilla is added "yechi adonainu, etc." Three times nonetheless. After each tefilla. Was the seder hatefilla that the AKH put together chas veshalom incomplete??
That was bad, but what really infuriated me and drove home my point, was what occured when we landed.
Anyone that has flown to Israel knows that a safe landing is met with applause, whispers of "Boruch Hashem" and for years the song hallelukah playing over the PA. Not on my flight. On my flight, the applause was accompanied by loud cheers of "yechi adonainu, etc."
Is the Rebbe still an intermediary? or are they G-d forbid thanking the Rebbe for his help in assuring their safe flight?
How did this happen? How was this allowed to happen? How long until, similar to christianity, Chabad/Lubavitch becomes a religion of its own? I don't think it's that far off, but that's just MY opinion.

2 Comments:

Blogger Open Up! said...

very disturbing indeed

November 24, 2005 2:14 AM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

I'm afraid it's not only Lubavitch,
Story in the Hamida "I prayed we would be able to see the Rebbe (not the Lubavitcher)".This woman picked up a Tehillim and davened she would be allowed in the Rebbe's chambers. Apparently it didn't occur to her to daven about her problem directly to G-D, that's the Rebbe's job perhaps?
Sadly people don’t pick up a Tehilllim anymore, they just travel for miles to visit graves that are or might not be of passed on Tzaddikkim.

November 24, 2005 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home