Friday, June 23, 2006

Thoughts from Parshas Shelach

After the Meraglim came back and gave their report to the Bnei Yisrael, the Bnei Yisrael despair and spend the night crying and complaining to Moshe and Aharon why they took them out of Egypt to die in the desert.
The Torah tells us that Moshe and Aharon, and Yehoshua and Kalev react to the Bnei Yisrael's reaction in different ways. Moshe and Aharon "fall on their faces" in tefilla, because they hoped that there was still a way that they could salvage the situation. Yehoshua and Kalev "ripped their clothes" in mourning because they realized that the situation was hopeless.
How was it that Yehoshua and Kalev saw and realized what Moshe and Aharon didn't?
The answer that I heard given is that Yehoshua and Kalev had just returned from a stay in Eretz Yisrael, and they still had some of the kedusha inside them. As the gemara teaches us, "avira deretz yisrael machkima". Although Yehoshua and Kalev were definitely not on a higher madrega than Moshe and Aharon, at that moment, because of the time that they spent in Eretz Yisrael, they had greater clarity.
Good Shabbos!

5 Comments:

Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Very nice thanks. Clarity can do everything.

June 25, 2006 3:38 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Oh... makes me long for Eretz Yisrael... Oh, the air is so sweet there!!!!

June 25, 2006 8:34 PM  
Blogger anonym00kie said...

i dont get it, who says that what yehoshua and kalev felt was clearer than what moshe and aharon felt? couldnt moshe and aharons tfillas have changed the outcome? when is the appropriate time to give up and give in?

June 26, 2006 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi a question for you
once I orgasm my wife loses interest in sex immediately.
why?
I am still hard and can still give pleasure.
please explain

June 26, 2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger chaverah said...

This reminds me of how I dont appreciate Eretz Yisroel as I should. I dont see it as a place I can live right now and I feel quite guilty about that. This post reminds me that I should long for eir hakadosh but I couldnt bring myself to move there. Imer Hashem in the time of moshiach...

June 26, 2006 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home