Friday, May 12, 2006

Mama Mia

Lag Baomer is so close that I can almost taste it. With it comes the end of our sefira mourning period. Shaving and music are two things that I am very much looking forward to at this point. I know some people listen to music during sefira, but I am quite sure most do not listen to live music or go to shows.
Now is the time to plan for post Lag Baomer activities. Here's one recommendation:

I had been hearing from friends how great the show Mama Mia was and decided to go see it for myself. I went with my wife shortly before pesach. I must say, I had an amazing time. There's something about Broadway in general that just sets the mood.
I have been to many shows and each one has its own flavor. Its own draw. Its own magic, that makes it special. I can't say that Mama Mia was THE best show that I have ever seen, but it was definitely unique and extremely enjoyable. It makes it that much more enjoyable if you are familiar with ABBA's music. I'm sure almost everybody is familiar with their music, to greater or lesser degrees, even though you may not realize that the music in question is ABBA.
The concept is amazingly brilliant. Most shows are written and then the music is composed to fit into the story. Here, it's the reverse. They took the music and created a story around it. Yes, there were some weak spots, but considering the task, it was quite good and extremely entertaining and most of all, FUN. It was probably the most fun that I ever had at a Broadway show. The electricity as the show ends is amazing and it's true what they say, at the end, just about everyone is dancing in the aisles.
Get tickets now. See the show. You won't regret it. When you get there..... tell them AFI sent you.

16 Comments:

Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

Although I have some thoughts, I didn't choose anything yet. I'm looking for suggestions.

May 14, 2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

I saw it years ago, I LOVE abba music. Great show!

If I tell them AFI sent me will I get a rebate?

Suggestions for post-sefirah-music-fast-breaking? How about
Abba - Thank you For The Music :-)

May 14, 2006 3:48 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

try it frumgirl. see what happens.

I was thinking something more contemporary, but that's a good suggestion as well.

May 14, 2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Yeah it sounded like a great show. I haven't seen a show in like over 10 years.

May 14, 2006 8:40 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

I was on the fence about seeing it- but you've convinced me!

(I just hope they can keep their American accents throughout the entire show!)

May 15, 2006 3:24 AM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

sw/fm - you definitely should go out and see it. Especially based on your latest post or two, sounds like you could use some fun and cheering up.

notahottie - I was in the balcony. I contemplated jumping down but didn't thikn it was wise.

shopaholic - yes, just when you thought it was over, right?

kasamba - well ABBA was swedish, so maybe in europe they'll shoot for swedish accents. :-)

May 15, 2006 11:57 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Wasn't the story about american people?
Swedish people are more fun to watch anyway.

May 15, 2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

I was just tryng to be cutesy with my suggestion... there are so many songs to hear... you have to give us a preference in genre.

May 15, 2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

Thanks frumgirl, I already made my decision.

May 15, 2006 12:50 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

So what is it

May 15, 2006 3:27 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

good recommendation, I however feel that if you really love Abba's song, than it's just hard to enjoy the new versions.
I bought the soundtrack a few years ago and I just couldn’t listen to it.

May 16, 2006 7:18 AM  
Blogger chaverah said...

i dont know how much i like ABBA, but once you start listenting to their music it gets addictive. I cant get it out of my head! SO do i really want to see a show that I will continue to sing for weeks after!

May 16, 2006 4:59 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Of course you do Chaverah, thats what tells a great show from a mediocre one.

May 16, 2006 6:39 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

20 lol

May 16, 2006 6:40 PM  
Blogger ggggg said...

Broadway rocks!

May 16, 2006 11:23 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

This was one of the most enjoyable plays I had ever seen..having grown up with my parents listening to ABBA all the time...
I have the soundtrack on my ipod...

May 17, 2006 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home