Friday, March 31, 2006

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen


I will admit, I don't cook often. It's not that I can't, it's just that I don't really know how. I'm a guy. I have a difficult time following instructions and directions.
Anyway, last week, I decided to do my wife a favor and prepare something for shabbos. She was shocked. I was home early and happened to have had the time, so I figured, why not? I got a recipe over the phone from someone that happened to have been eating with us Friday night and I cooked.
(drumroll please......)
The Friday night meal came and my "masterpiece" was met with rave reviews from all, including the person who gave me the recipe.
So, last night, I volunteered to make it again. There was one main difference though, this time I wasn't alone in the kitchen. The person that gave me the recipe happened to have been there as well. I did everything the same way as I had the previous week, except this time, it was "not enough of this, that's not cut small enough, too much of that." etc etc etc. Needless to say, I did what I think most men would do in that situation.... I left the kitchen. Now I really understand the meaning of the phrase, "Too many cooks......"

6 Comments:

Blogger FrumGirl said...

Sorry you were kicked out of the kitchen.... But I must admit that I , too, can bea perfectionist in the kitchen. Sometimes its hard to let go of that control and let someone do it their way, mistakes and all. I hope this doesnt stop you from venturing into the kitchen again... many a girl will agree that its very hot when a guy cooks for them.

March 31, 2006 1:23 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

I love cooking...and tinkering...in the kitchen...
But I never follow recipes..I have to feel..taste ..smell..the end result while I'm making it....its pure intuition...

March 31, 2006 2:42 PM  
Blogger Mata Hari said...

well sounds like you did a great job all on your own, so stick to your guns and do it your way - and tell whoever it is who gave you the recipe that it's your kitchen and you're in charge!
try another one. sounds like you're having fun.

April 01, 2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger chaverah said...

I am impressed you attempt to cook, bravo! and it came out good?!? Bravo again! I have an interesting thought. When I attempt to make a new dish, I am VERY careful the first time as to how I cut, mix, add, chop all my ingrediants. Once it come out good I become more careless making the same recipe again. You probably were not doing it with the same care the second time. That being said I'm sure your dish would have come out just as good and next time kick her/him the hell out of your kitchen!

April 02, 2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger chaverah said...

david - humm.... you love cooking as well?? hum....

April 02, 2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Chaverah I must admit that I never care about how fine the onion is chopped ever. But when following a recipe I am a stickler to keeping t othe amounts and making sure not to have to substitute an ingredient.

April 02, 2006 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home