Thursday, February 23, 2006

What is your most desired invention??


I have said this for years, and the fact that my answer still remains the same I think is an indication that my most desired invention, truly would make my life that much better.
Every morning after davening, breakfast maybe and possibly a good morning to my kids, I set off to work in my car. What happens next totally impacts the rest of my day. No matter how relaxed I start out, and what I have planned for the ride, the traffic volumes affect what mood I will be in when I reach my office. It still amazes me how one stretch of 3-5 miles that obviously won't take more than five minutes to travel on a Sunday or holiday, can take close to an hour on a working day. Nothing annoys me more than coming home to my family in a crummy mood because I spent far longer on the roads getting home than I should have.

That being said, without question, my most desired invention would be a transporter similar to the ones used on Star Trek (no I am not a trekkie). Imagine being able to get from home to work in ten seconds. I would always be in a good mood when I got to work and when I got home. I would be home more and be able to spend much more time home with my family.
That's just the beginning though, if I oversleep, I can transport myself further west and still catch minyan. Can you imagine, being able to transport yourself and daven at the kotel every day? You could have breakfast, lunch and dinner in three different cities, every day of the week. The possibilities are endless and limitless.
I would therefore go deep into debt to pay anyone who can invent this, in the long run it would make my life that much more calm and adventuresome.
GET CRACKING GUYS!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please be kind to datingmaster. He is a really good person and you are treating him as a joke.Just a thought. Do what you want with it.

February 23, 2006 12:30 PM  
Blogger Mata Hari said...

Just as long as strangers don't transport themselves into your home :)

February 23, 2006 3:12 PM  
Blogger smb said...

Afi, very interesting. It would deffinatly save time and make getting to far places much easier.

February 23, 2006 5:13 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

I don't know about you but I dont think I would let myself go through some kind of contraption where your molecules are broken down and transported... way too scary. What if there is a malfunction? I dont want to end up like that kid in the movie "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory", lol. Today there are still people who refuse to fly in an airplane. I will be one of those people who refuse to be 'beamed down' by Scotty. I will leave that to you, AFI.

Great post! Truly original and impressive - of course necessity is the mother of all invention. Just hope they can come up with something just as revolutionary but safer.

February 23, 2006 6:02 PM  
Blogger chaverah said...

got to hand it to you. You find good pics. Your blogs come alive w/ such illustration. Very interesting invention. When will we be like the jetsons??

February 23, 2006 7:55 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Well their is something in the making..that is more feasible and safer..
Its sort of like a rocket that will zoom you up into the upper reaches of the atmospere real quick..then take aim..and zoom you back down to anywhere in the world. A trip to Tel Aviv would take about 3 hours.

February 23, 2006 10:13 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

If I had a penny for every time I fantasized about a similar invention, visiting family abroad instead of going to the zoo on Sundays, going to simchos in Israel would take only a moment and you'd sleep in your own bed!!
When I was a kid we had such a thing as traffic, wouldn’t that make for good horror stories in years to come.

Now about letting a real problem affecting your mood, traffic is horrible but don’t let it take your down, take an interesting audio tape with you, drink and eat while in line, speak on the phone to friends you never have time to call etc…
Us the time wisely!!

February 24, 2006 4:23 AM  
Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

agree with prag on this one.
but yep, that would be cool to transport like that! especially from australia to israel or america or europe. it's a really not fun plane trip!
shavua tov :)

February 25, 2006 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My luck, if I were to try to use a transporter, would be that I would end up with my head on backwards, like the president in the movie "Spaceballs", or some strange molecular arrangement. Traffic doesn't have to be too bad, find someone to talk to on the way!

February 26, 2006 7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home