Monday, January 30, 2006

A Few Precious Minutes

As of a few hours ago I had resigned myself to the fact that I would not be blogging today. The well had dried up. I was out of ideas. I had even informed one of my fellow readers of that fact. Life, however, is one big blogging opportunity. Let me tell you what happened.
I went to go daven mincha. Normally that shouldn't be that traumatic of an experience. I was asked to daven for the amud, nothing necessarily shocking about that either. However, at that point, the rabbi turned to me and said, the words that (in my mind, unfortunately) many jews long to hear, "heicha kedusha". For my women readers and others that may not be familiar, instead of everyone saying shmoneh esray together and then the chazan repeating the entire shmoneh esray himself, with a heicha kedusha, the chazan recites until after kedusha out loud and then finishes the rest of his shmoneh esray silently while every one does as well.
I asked the rabbi why he made that decision. Mind you, I have been davening at that minyan for quite some time, and he just decided to make the switch today. He just shrugged his shoulders. Someone pointed out that it's Rosh Chodesh and doing it that way would mean that yaaleh veyavo wouldn't get recited out loud. The Rabbi didn't care. He just shrugged his shoulders again and said this is the way it's going to be.
It is absolutely mind-boggling to me. I will exaggerate by saying that heicha kedusha will save a grand total of 4-5 minutes. It's probably more like 2-3. Are we THAT pressed for time that we can't spare an extra 4-5 minutes for our maker??? It's like the roar of approval that takes place if there is a chosson present or bris taking place which means that tachanun won't be said. How long does it take to say tachanun? Definitely not more than 2-3 minutes. I know that we are a generation of short attention spans, but this is absolutely ridiculous.
The heicha kedusha method, cuts out the saying out loud and thereby preventing of the kahal's being able answer amen to, 16 out of 19 berachos and the answering of modim. I recently read a wonderful sefer/book by a woman named Esther Stern on the power of the one word Amen. I still find it hard to believe and have no idea what a rabbi (after 120 years) will answer when asked how he could prevent so many Amens from being answered.
What did I do, you ask? I stayed until after kedusha. Then I left and davened at another minyan which repeated the full shmoneh esray. A Gutten Chodesh.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mata Hari said...

on the other hand, you can look at it this way - there's a whole bunch of guys who make the time to go to minyan for mincha every day (who could otherwise be taking a stroll or eating out or just taking a well deserved break from work).

January 30, 2006 7:41 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

matahari - no question that's a positive thing, but once they are already at a minyan, should it really make a difference to them if davening takes eight minutes or eleven?

eshet - of course you are one of my readers. I didn't broadcast to anybody that I wouldn't be blogging any more. I simply commented to one person, that I was out of ideas and might be taking a short break. Sorry if I offended in any way.

January 31, 2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

Glad something albeit a somewhat strange happening kept you from shutting down your blog.
I have rarely attended such a minyan, except in airports or the likes.
Especially Rosh Chodesh I find it highly inappropriate.

January 31, 2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

AFI... boy am I proud of you! That is totally amazing that you did that....

Did you have a talk with the Rabbi afterwards? Did he give you a reason? Did you mention how you feel to him? It really doesnt make sense if all you are saving is a few short minutes.... Weird.

Great post. Great perspective. I join Eshet Chayil in saying I am glad you chose NOT to stop for now.

January 31, 2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

eshet - the only thing I can think to say is ... yes, ma'am. I'm really glad that my blog means so much to you. I just hope you'll enjoy my next post as well.
*evil grin*

frumgirl - thanks. that means a lot to me. I actually did not have a talk with the rabbi, however, you inspired me. I will have a talk with him tomorrow and try to get an answer from him and explain how I feel. I really don't see what kind of argument he can possibly have.
Wow, if I'm successful, can you imagine the zchus of saving all of those amens? not that I'm doing it for that reason, but one can't help but think....

January 31, 2006 5:30 PM  
Blogger Miss S. said...

Interesting and unfortunate. I'm glad you found another minyan that day!

January 31, 2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

DM - To an extent I don't disagree with you or mata hari, my point is simply that it's not like you have to do anything extra. You're already there. All I am "asking" is that you remain there for 2-3 extra minutes. You don't have to go out of your way any further.

I agree with you 1000% on the navi issue, no guys nowadays know navi because "we didn't learn it in yeshiva". There is such a strong focus on Gemara these days and you know what, may I will post about it, thanks for the suggestion.
I used to have a navi chavrusa, then I moved and it's hard to find another.

February 01, 2006 9:03 AM  
Blogger Mata Hari said...

afi - please let us know what the rabbi says. now i'm really curious.

dm - i can only assume that multiple personalities are at work here.
if you

February 01, 2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger Keren Perles said...

I'm curious. From the way that you describe the conversation, it's very possible that he knew that someone (or someone-s) had something important to afterwards and would feel upset if he missed chazaras hashatz...or they had to vacate the shul for a speech soon...or something like that.

All that said, it's definitely commendable that you put your feet where your mouth was and davened at another minyan. Yashar Koach.

February 02, 2006 7:47 AM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

OK, I have an update.
I spoke with the rabbi this afternoon and he explained his reasoning to me.
He understood my issue, but made it clear to me that this was an experiment. He believes that by going to the heicha kedusha option, he may get more people to attend the minyan than currently do. That way, less amens per jew, but perhaps more jews to say the remaining amens.
I hear his point, sadly.
We'll see how the experiment goes.

February 02, 2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

I find it ironic..that the same litvaks that berate the chassidim for skipping Tachanun..then turn around and do a Hoieche Shemoneh Esreh by Mincha...

February 05, 2006 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home