Thursday, February 02, 2006

Everything In Moderation

Lately while blogging I have read what, as an orthodox frum jew, I consider to be some strange things.
On one blog I read about women shaving their heads. One was talking about TV and movies and the fact that Chassidim don’t involve themselves with that. Another, the craziest in my opinion, discussed Judaism’s issue with sex.
It made me think a lot about chassidus and about how it differs from my way of thinking. Granted chassidus does not advocate celibacy, that’s a whole different issue.
One of the differences that I always noticed between us as Jews, and the Christians/Catholics, was that we understood moderation. They did not.
Obviously we have laws that restrict us from many things, but once we get past the laws, we are living in a corporeal world. Sex in Judaism is not forbidden or prohibited or only for procreation. Our Rabbis and leaders engage in sexual activity. However, it’s done in such a way as to emphasize the spirituality of the union of husband and wife.
This is directly opposed to Catholicism where sex is a “necessary evil” for procreation and abstaining makes one better or holier. This is not natural. Hashem did not create the world this way. I hate to say it but that’s why you see priests and altar boys…….
As it relates to women’s hair, (yes, it’s supposed to be covered), colors of clothing, types and quantities of kosher foods that we eat and in my opinion even television and movies, moderation, moderation, moderation is the direction in which we should be going.
To some degree, I understand why chassidus chooses to exclude themselves from the rest of the goyish society, but for me it doesn’t work. Generally if a child is prohibited from doing something, it only makes them want it more. Why else would we have imitation shrimp, crab and lobster? Do we really want or need those foods, or is it only because we can’t have them?
My wife once heard a woman lecturer, I think her name was Tova Mordechai, who grew up in a convent. She now is frum and speaks, traveling the world, wearing bright clothing (she was wearing a bright red dress when my wife heard her) and eating smorgasbords of food (no she is not fat, I was simply making a point), to offset her years of being allowed to only wear black and white and eat only old bread and water.
There are simanim and simanim in shulchan aruch, teaching us the torah way to do the most mundane things (which I will not get into here), but the point is, doing things the torah way, means taking the most mundane acts and objects and elevating them to a higher level, by using and doing them properly in the way that Hashem would want you to do them.
Do you see what I’m getting at? I believe that to be a frum torah jew means to involve yourself in the world, but in moderation and doing it in a way that both elevates yourself as well as those around you, not to mention the opportunities to make a kiddush hashem, both with Jews and non-Jews alike.

25 Comments:

Blogger Mata Hari said...

I agree with what you're saying, and I'm all for moderation.
However, I once heard someone say that everyone thinks that they are normal, and whoever is frummer than them is a fanatic, whoever is less frum is too modern. We draw different lines. I remember a teacher in elementary school telling us we shouldn't wear bright colors like red or yellow, because it's not tznius and draws attention.

February 02, 2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

AFI - agreed. We need to know where to draw the line between taking too little (chosid shoteh) taking it normally which is of course acceptable... a little bit extra which I still think is acceptable and then taking a whole lot extra which is slovenly and disgusting. It is called self control.

Mata Hari - that is why we need to stop looking to see what the other person is doing. We need to stop looking for approval from others in this particular area... Judaism is a struggle and a personalized one. It is about Hashem and that is the only area to look for approval. Each person has their own 'pekel' and so each person has their own journey.

February 02, 2006 1:43 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

I agree with mata...where do you draw the line?
Ok so..you'll have a TV..what about HBO?....
Everyone has their own lines...and nisyonos.

One thing is for sure...moderation might be good for the masses..but no tzaddikim are coming out of this MTV generation

February 02, 2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

David, I think you missed my point... each person decides for themselves. That is, assuming they are capable of making a 'cheshbon hanefesh'. Some arent, they need to be led. Im not saying every capable person should allow this or that... its a personal journey... that is my point.

February 02, 2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

mata hari - the only time we should look at our fellow jew is if they are better jews than we are and we can be jealous of them in a positive way, like rachel was of leah...

frumgirl - I agree. we each draw our own lines. That's what makes us different and special.
Your second comment is an excellent one as well.

david - welcome back to my blog. I thought for sure you would have commented on some of my previous posts. I expect you to go back and comment. I had some interesting topics that I thought would be up your alley.
You're exactly right. Every one has their own lines and nisyonos, as I commented above, that's what makes things interesting.
very hard for us to gauge who is a tzadik and who is not.

February 02, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Hmmm AFI has put you to task, Davidle ;-)

February 02, 2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

AFI...I will I promise..but probably not before Sunday.
Is that ok?
:-)

February 02, 2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

fair enough.....

but if you are not up to the task, it looks like frumgirl is going to go after you......

February 02, 2006 5:00 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

I think I can handle her ;-)

February 02, 2006 5:05 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 02, 2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

David, you have no idea what you are saying, lol. I am completely un-handle-able, lol.

February 02, 2006 5:12 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

yah..yah..I know all these intimidation tactics..

February 02, 2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Can't you hear my evil cackle?

February 02, 2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Thats what that was?

February 02, 2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Now Im all pouty, you arent supposed to agree....

February 02, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Don't pout now..you're gonna lose your edge..
:-)

February 02, 2006 5:22 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

David, thats the beauty of being me. I dont lose my edge, even when pouting, Its a learned talent.

February 02, 2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

wow..I gotta see that
Who was your teacher..?

February 02, 2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Sorry can't disclose.

February 02, 2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

Where can I find imitation lobsters etc...? What are they mad of?

To get back to your post, moderation is wise, but compared to what? Where does it start and where does it end?
Is 6 hours a day of TV too much, no TV too little and 2 hours ideal?
Is keeping 52 Shabbosim a year too much, about half of them is perfectly moderated?

February 03, 2006 5:03 AM  
Blogger Mata Hari said...

Prag - I wasn't saying that it's right to compare yourself to other people...that just seems to be a common tendency. I was saying that moderation is a subjective term.

February 03, 2006 7:36 AM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

prag - if you re-read my post, I made it very clear that we have halacha and I am only referring to the things "outside" of halacha.
shabbos is halacha. there is no compromising halacha and therefore no compromising or moderation when it comes to shabbos.
sorry buddy, you have to keep all 52.

February 03, 2006 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this post was really interesting -didn't Rambam or Ramban say a Jew should take the middle path? He also was talking about the 'realm of neutral pursuits'. But one reason why it is so dificult to know where that middle path lies, is because we live in the alma d'shikra- a world of deceit. No one really knows the truest, best way to live their life, but we try to make the best of it and try to do our best. As long as we are always growing, making ourselves holier (in a slow, sane, real way), then I am sure we will succeed!

February 03, 2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger chaverah said...

Very interesting post and very interesting comments.
eshet chayil - I agree ,growing up very sheltered definitely makes you extremely curious with all the things that were not allowed. I beleive that chasidim have a strong curiousity with all the things they were not allow to do growing up. It is to extreme and to sheltered and as a result it tempts them even more!

datingmaster - Because we are so sheltered in the end we find ourselves with a mate that we are not sexually compatible because we didnt know any better. So many people out there that are suffering in silence.

February 05, 2006 11:53 AM  
Blogger chaverah said...

datingmaster - Who do you think Frum Idealist is , a Rabbi????????

February 05, 2006 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home