Friday, June 30, 2006

Thoughts from Parshas Korach

Where to begin??? There's soooo much this week....

Nashim Daatan Kalos - I knew that would get your attention. While the gemara says this and I believe it to be true, it does NOT mean that women are in any way mentally inferior to men. It's just means that their "daas" is "lighter".
Why do people always focus on that statement in the gemara and not on the fact that women have "beena yesaira". Daas is one simple level of understand, beena is understanding on a much diffrent and deeper level. Women have deeper insight and greater understanding into things than men. This week's parsha brings proof to this.
Korach starts a whole revolt and has Dasan and Aviram on his side, together with On ben Peles. Yet, when the actual confrontation occurs, On is nowhere to be found. Chazal tell us that his wife argued with him and convinced him not to go and even devised a plan to keep him from going, even when they came to call on him. She literally saved his life, both in this world and the next. How and why did she see this? Why didn't/couldn't On see it for himself? The answer is "beena". Women are gifted with that extra level of understanding and insight that men simply cannot achieve.
I have experienced this in my own life as well. There was once a situation where my wife saved my job. She understood something that either I couldn't see or failed to realize. She forced me to do something about it and it literally prevented me from losing my job. I have spoken with numerous others who have had similar experiences. I would take the lighter daas and greater beena any day.

I was contemplating something the other day. This is a dvar torah very commonly given at sheva brachos and it dawned on me, Parshas Korach almost always comes out in June, the most popular month for weddings.... hmmmmmmmmmm... another "coincidence"???

10 Comments:

Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Nice.
I was taught that it means..theyre daas is light..and therefore are unable to concentrate on one thing for a long period of time.
This is something both my wife and I have noticed...

June 30, 2006 5:30 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

I have heard that as well, but not exactly like that. Something more to the effect that the lighter daas allows a woman to bounce from one thing to another more easily than men can. Any mother will tell you that is a trait that is necessary raising children and maintaining a household not to mention working etc etc etc.
I still maintain that WE are the weaker sex.

July 01, 2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger Neil Harris said...

I agree with the multi-taking aspect of Daas. I think women, or at least my wife, have a better handle on the big picture. There have been major critical life decisions where my wife's adivce was 100% correct. Also, I remember learning that multi-tasking is more suited for learning Chumash because pshat is based on synthisizing several meforim, as opposed to learing Gemora, which is more "single-task" driven. Great Dvar Torah, sorry I didn't look at it until Motzai Shabbos.

July 02, 2006 12:24 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Very nice meaning. R Orlofsky talked or shall I say joked about that chazal. He didn't shed light on the real meaning.

July 02, 2006 12:36 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

My personal experience with men and boys show me the bina yeseyra that we certainly possess.

July 02, 2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Fab and very interesting!
That would make a great Shave Brochos speech!
Part of the 'Shma Bekolah'.

July 02, 2006 4:34 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Judging by the comments alone you can see the diff... the men focus on the one part - the daatan kalos... and debate exactly how women have a lighter daas a topic they are so found of, lol, while the ladies view the bigger picture and appreciate the entire dvar torah... typical!

Great post, AFI, sorry had no time to read or comment till now....

July 03, 2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

well, among other things, it obviously stems from an inferiority complex. Men want to believe that they are better, even though deep down they know that they are not, so they have to pick on the things that seemingly are negative about women. lol

July 03, 2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

AFI, careful there... your fellow gender-mates may excommunicate you for admitting such things, lol.

July 03, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

ahhhhh, they'd have to find me first. ;-)

July 03, 2006 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home