Friday, December 30, 2005

Segulas

As we enter into a long Shabbos/Rosh Chodesh/Chanukah/their New Years weekend, this may be my last post for a few days. If it's going to be up there on top for a few days, I guess it had better be good. I'll give it my best shot.

At the onset of WWI (and it obviously applies at all times), the Chofetz Chaim wrote in one of his letters:

"There are people who seek segulos and amulets, or self-flagellation and fasting, to atone for their sins. They are willing to spend thousands on them, each person, according to his personal means and how desperate he is.
Instead, they should regularly pronounce Amen Yehei Shemei Rabba with kavanah, since this can be done easily, and it is a segulah for all salvations - both for the individual and the community. One should encourage others to do this mitzvah, and consistently do it himself, rather than waste his money on external segulos that don't help and won't succeed, and which sap his strength for nothing. A wise man will take these words to heart."

I'd like to consider myself a wise man, so I am trying to do my part.
There are so many tzaros in the world. Everyone has them. Let's focus on the positive and what we can do to help turn things around, "Amen Yehei Shemei Rabba".

8 Comments:

Blogger FrumGirl said...

I knew it was important to answer with kavana but I didn't know this.... Thank you for the enlightenment. Something I personally never understood is women are always very conscious of answering to kedusha, but I find that men consistently shrug it off... if they are talking they will continue talking. I never understood this. Just another example of how we are taught differently I suppose.

December 30, 2005 10:16 AM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

frumgirl - that may be the case. Obviously it is very wrong for guys to keep talking especially during the "highlights" of davening. I think part of it may be that guys go to shul three times a day every day and therefore it's not as fresh for them. Obviously it should be the case, but unfortunately it's not.
Then again, generally the ones talking aren't the ones that go to shul three times daily.

eshet - thank you so much. It really means a lot.

December 30, 2005 10:46 AM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Good point, yet very sad that people can become so desensitized due to over-exposure.

December 30, 2005 2:47 PM  
Blogger Chana said...

I really liked this post. Everyone should do their bit...in a somewhat entertaining way, this is a bit like Voltaire's advice that we should "cultivate our own garden." ;)

January 01, 2006 3:59 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

As for guys talking during davening - it is partly Mitzvos anashim melumodo (commandments performed due to repetitiveness), and partly because they have a Chiyuv to daven 3 times a day, which makes it that much more of a struggle. Not that that is any excuse, and not that I'd put myself in that category.

Thanks for the segulas bash - but it is a little too late. oh well!

January 01, 2006 4:19 AM  
Blogger Genendy said...

I don't understand why the chofetz chaim would say that segulos don't help. Can't it be that both work but it's just easier to answer 'amein y'hei shemei rabba' so you might as well do that one? I guess I want segulos to work because I'm never in shul and never have a chance to answer 'amein y'hei...' :)

January 01, 2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

I'm not much of a Segulah following person, but this remedy is only good for men, women often don't come to shul at all.

January 02, 2006 4:35 AM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

karl - it's never too late.

genendy - What you are saying is probably correct. The segulos are possibly 50-50, the amen yehai sounds like it's a sure thing.

prag - I agree with what you are saying, but that's obviously understood and factored into the equation, I am sure if a woman is in shul less frequently, i.e. once a week, but she makes the most of that opportunity, meaning she is in shul and answering amen yehai rather than talking, it probably counts for her that much more..

January 02, 2006 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home