Thursday, December 15, 2005

Simple Pleasures II

Over the last twenty four hours or so I have been surfing blogworld and noticed something. Almost every blog that I have read lately has either been about "simple pleasures" or about something sad, depressing or frustrating. Maybe it's the season. The winter and it's short days have been known to get people down. Maybe it's just life that has a tendency to get to people.
Then a thought occured to me. Many of us have spent the last few days working on this task of coming up with simple pleasures. Perhaps it's just me, but I think we all missed the boat.
We were working on this list because we got tagged by a "friend" and felt compelled to come up with five things. Spent time wracking our brains to come up with five. What's really the point of this exercise? Give us something to do? Try and get to know our fellow blogger? With rare exception I don't see how it's possible to really get to know someone based on their five pleasures.
I think the ultimate purpose was so simple and right in front of our faces, and forgive me if you realized this and it was just me that didn't, but I think it was meant to serve a much greater purpose.
Inevitably, into every life some rain must fall. We will all have sad, depressing, upsetting or frustrating times. I don't know of a living soul that hasn't. When those times come and we are having a rough moment, THEN it's time to focus on the simple pleasures. The little things that already exist in each of our lives that make us happy. If thinking about those things isn't enough, go out and do them. Snuggle with your child. Hold a newborn baby. Drink your coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Eat your pizza, shwarma or sushi. Sing your lungs out. etc etc etc
Do the things that make you happy and help get you out of your sad or rotten mood.
That's what I tend to do when I get down.

Don't forget..... mitzva gedola lihyos b'simcha..... TAMID.

4 Comments:

Blogger smb said...

I agree, when we are feeling really down, we should try to remember the things that we like and have. An easier way to do that is to think what it would be like if it was taken away. This way we realize how fortunate we really are for having it.

December 15, 2005 5:13 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Let go of the negativity and let the simcha permeate every particle of your being! Who else is inspired... raise your hand!

December 15, 2005 7:47 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

Thanks, but sometimes its what is not blogged.

December 15, 2005 9:57 PM  
Blogger Rabbi Seinfeld said...

Well put.
I think you would enjoy my book, The Art of Amazement.
And please chalk up my blog for one that is yotzei min ha clal!
Best,
AS

December 17, 2005 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home