Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Lack of Originality

I recently read a post on frumgirl's blog regarding copycatting. At the time I read it I understood it on a more individual level. This weekend I went to the movies, and was astounded at the tremendous lack of originality. Cheaper by the Dozen 2 out in the theaters now. Memoirs of a Geisha is based on a book. Mission Impossible 3, X-Men 3 (based on a comic), Ice Age 2, Pink Panther and a new version of Superman coming soon to theaters near you. I know this isn't a new phenomenon, after all, we already had three Supermans, three Rambos, five Rockys with a SIXTH on the way.
For crying out loud, aren't there people in Hollywood getting paid to come up with creative ideas? Every year there will be one or two good new ideas, but why not more???

3 Comments:

Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

This poblem is even more pronounced on Broadway.

January 04, 2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Aw, Datingmaster I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now, thanks lol.

I didn't realize that what you say is true until you pointed it out here! Maybe this is what the public demands... something old and familiar with a twist?

Or maybe it has all been done already and until there is some new technology or some engenius new brainstorm, Hollywood is running dry out of ideas? Personally anything adapted from a book like "Memoirs of a Geisha," which book I loved can't be so bad. Can't wait to see the movie.... They also just redid "Pride and Prejuidice". This is, I believe, to be interpretation of art... so it is acceptable as far as I am concerned.

We go to movies to be entertained and to lose ourselves from the reality of our lives. What better way to do that than to take us to back into the past.

We all love blue-eyed Superman, etc. Maybe the futuristic kind of film has been overkilled for now and people just want what is familiar as I pointed out already. Psychologically this makes complete sense to me.

January 04, 2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

touche' masmida. point well taken.

January 04, 2006 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home