Friday, December 16, 2005

Cartoons




What happened to cartoons over the years? I remember watching cartoons as a kid and even as an adult I appreciated them.
Bugs Bunny was brilliant. A cartoon that adapted history and culture into a medium that targets kids was a stroke of genius. Kids can watch the cartoon and learn about opera or George Washington and not even realize that they are learning.
The Flintstones used such creativity. The way the utilized all different types of animals pre-historic or otherwise to mimic advances of modern day technology.
Even the animaniacs had what to contribute.
I find ALMOST no educational or redeeming quality in today's cartoons. They may be humorous at best, but I do not find them educational or even creative in any way shape or form.
If anything they are very violent and not in a funny way like the road runner was.
I miss my old cartoons.

3 Comments:

Blogger FrumGirl said...

I am a little girl at heart and also love cartoons! I used to love the Animaniacs! It was brilliant!

Today's cartoons are either japan anime teaching voilence or ridculous dysfunctional family situations where usually the father is stupid, the mother domineering and the child a know it all hero. (i.e. The Fairly Odd-Parents, Jimmy Neutron, The Simpsons) Not exactly the values I want to teach my child.

December 16, 2005 10:35 AM  
Blogger Captain said...

Cartoons today reflect the kind of world our kids are being raised in and what they are exposed to.
Cartoons were very different when we were kids..but then again, so was the world we were raised in.

December 18, 2005 9:21 AM  
Blogger Miss S. said...

Yes, the story lines and creativity of cartoons has gone totally out the window. But I also notice that the animation is poorer. Not in that it looks visually bad; but remember how the old cartoons characters had the facial expressions that gave away their feelings; the timing and sequencing of the 'chase scenes' (think Tweety and Sylvester). It really was genius compared to the stuff you see today.

December 20, 2005 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home