Monday, July 24, 2006

Candyman


I saw a post on Jameel's blog recently with a sign campaigning for someone who was "running" for the position of shul candyman. I have been in shuls where the rights to be candyman get sold on Simchas Torah, and sadly it often goes for more than chasan torah and chasan braishis combined. It reminded me of an amazing story of a very different candyman.
There was a man who was niftar almost two years ago who had been the candyman for years in the shul in which I grew up. I had always assumed that he did it because he liked kids, was a giving person, and liked seeing kids smiling. By his shiva, his wife revealed otherwise. She remembers him coming home from shul one shabbos bemoaning the fact that "kids these days don't have the midos that we were taught in Europe", "kids these days don't have an appreciation and respect for the older generation". He made a decision right then and there that he was going to do something about it. He was going to become the candyman.
There were rules though. This was not just a candyman, this was a candyman on a mission. You couldn't just approach him and get a candy. You had to come over and say "good shabbos", and respectfully request a candy (you had to say please). You would get a candy and then say your "thank you", until you said it, you weren't allowed to leave. It was all done with the biggest smile you could possibly imagine. I have no idea upon how many kids he made a lasting impression. He was one of the most loved and admired people I have ever met in my entire life. yehi zichro baruch.
It's amazing how with such a simple act... you can accomplish so much, without anybody (including his children. they had no idea why he did it either) ever seeing or knowing or understanding your true intentions.

15 Comments:

Blogger Neil Harris said...

That's awesome!!! I love it when you can get a life lesson from something so simple. I suggest that your post be "posted" in every shul. I often have seen kids to get candy and walk away with no thank you. B"H my kids know that if they don't say thank you, Abba gets the candy!!

July 24, 2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

That is a wonderful way of teaching children. I bet the candyman was one heck of a dad as well, teaching by example. I want to be that kind of parent.

July 24, 2006 7:51 PM  
Blogger anonym00kie said...

wat a great story.
in my shul the candyman is the grumpiest, loudest, scariest man .. i often wonder what his reason is for wanting to be the candyman.. maybe hes trying to work on himself to be a nicer more polite guy :)

July 24, 2006 11:09 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

I'm sure he accomplished a lot with his subtle and simple lesson.
I too bemoan the fact that kids grab the candy and run off, I think it would be good idea for the candy man to insist on a thank you.

I've never heard before of a shul where the right to hand out candy is sold, in our Shula everyone who wants to give candy, does so.

July 25, 2006 3:20 AM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

thanks for this non-war post!it's refreshing

July 25, 2006 3:20 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Good story. Since I work with the elderly I am more sensitized to respecting them. I see the importance in kids growing up with the attitude of respecting the elderly and seeing that they are not old geezers but have lots of wisdom to impart.

July 25, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

wow...what an awesome fellow...

I remember my candyman..making all the kids kiss him..on his old stubbly cheek...
uch...what we did for candies..

July 25, 2006 11:55 AM  
Blogger chaverah said...

david - gross, what kind of candy man was he!
frum idealist - Usually the candyman is a type of person who loves to give. Alot of kids these days have no derech eretz. I even saw recently a kid open up the candyman's talis bag to get candy! what a chutzpah! not only did he not ask but went straight for the bag and opened it up himself. UGH! My kids b"H have manners. great post!

July 25, 2006 12:01 PM  
Blogger smb said...

I remember having a candyman in my shul a long time ago. They're so sweet, pun intended :)

July 25, 2006 2:28 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

I used to be afraid of certain candymen. We didnt have one in the shul I grew up in but I remember others. They can also be scary and sleazy pedophiles... euw, but food for thought! Davids comment reminded me of this lol.

July 25, 2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger A Frum Idealist said...

yeah, david, your candyman sounds scary.
I would hope that in our circles the candymen are doing it for the kids' benefit not their own. Then again, some people benefit from being able to give. That's what the candyman in the story was all about. The stories I heard about him, were all so amazing, he was a really special man.

July 25, 2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

wonderful lesson

July 26, 2006 2:50 PM  
Blogger Ittay said...

personally, I like the candyman beteer then the gabbay. One calls me up, and the other makes me high (On sugar).

July 27, 2006 1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

August 11, 2006 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful story!

December 31, 2013 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home