Friday, September 08, 2006

What is Love? (Part II)

(Tevye)
Golde...
Do you love me?

(Golde)
Do I what?

(Tevye)
Do you love me?

(Golde)
Do I love you?
With our daughters getting married
And this trouble in the town
You're upset, you're worn out
Go inside, go lie down!
Maybe it's indigestion

(Tevye)
"Golde I'm asking you a question..."

Do you love me?

(Golde)
You're a fool

(Tevye)
"I know..."

But do you love me?

(Golde)
Do I love you?
For twenty-five years I've washed your clothes
Cooked your meals, cleaned your house
Given you children, milked the cow
After twenty-five years, why talk about love right now?

(Tevye)
Golde, The first time I met you
Was on our wedding day
I was scared

(Golde)
I was shy

(Tevye)
I was nervous

(Golde)
So was I

(Tevye)
But my father and my mother
Said we'd learn to love each other
And now I'm asking, Golde
Do you love me?

(Golde)
I'm your wife

(Tevye)
"I know..."
But do you love me?

(Golde)
Do I love him?
For twenty-five years I've lived with him
Fought him, starved with him
Twenty-five years my bed is his
If that's not love, what is?

(Tevye)
Then you love me?

(Golde)
I suppose I do

(Tevye)
And I suppose I love you too

(Both)
It change a thing
But even so
After twenty-five years
It's nice to know

How can love be defined? Obviously it's not something that can be defined in concrete terms and the act of giving is definitely a major part of it. However, we give to friends as well, so giving may lead to love, but I wouldn't say that it defines it or could be used as a measuring stick.
I was thinking about this over the last few weeks, and what I have come up with as a defining factor is selfless giving. Most times when we give or do something we are thinking about what we will get back in return or how we benefit from that act. Love (IMHO) means giving without requiring anything to be gained by the act other than the pure happiness of the recipient. If we are satisfied with that and that alone, that's a true indication of love.
How is that measured though? I believe that sacrifice plays a role here. Look above at what Golde tells Tevye, she cooked for him, washed the clothes, milked the cows, etc. Do you think she necessarily enjoyed doing those things? Most likely not, but she continued doing them. why? because she loved him.
This also fits in well with our love for Hashem. We are given 613 commandments by Him. Not all of them are "fun", they come with some work, effort and sacrifice. We may not want to get up early to go to shul, we may be tempted not to keep kosher, etc. but we make sacrifices. why? Because we love Hashem and keeping his mitzvos is what makes Him happy. That's how we give to Him.
I know it's still hard to measure, but let me give you an example, and you will perhaps understand why I've been thinking about this lately. I went swimming with my family this past weekend. A toe in the pool test proved the water to be excruciatingly cold, there was no way I was going in. I was content to sit next to the pool and read, enjoying the last sun rays of the summer. My little one however wanted to go in the water and could not go in without someone in the pool to supervise. After a half hour of attempts, plea bargains etc., I realized I was wasting my breath. I had no choice. I wanted my little one to be happy, and this is what would make her happy. I took a running start and jumped into the pool. Other than frostbite, I gained nothing by this act other than seeing the look of sheer happiness on my little one's freezing wet face.
Trust me, I am quite sure I would not have done that for anybody else. Lesser sacrifices, perhaps, but if you remember from one of my earlier posts.............. I love my daughter.

7 Comments:

Blogger the only way i know said...

beautiful little story...
(saw the fiddler on bway - twice - last year - great song - lol)
you are right - about love - fulfilling the other's need selflessly ( I left similar sentiments on your previous post) -
just a small observation though....
you wanted to make your little one happy - meaning -
you put yourself in her place for a moment in time -
not only did you care about her happiness -
you EMPATHIZED
with her inner feelings...
you tried (and succeeded) in understanding her heart, her mind..
and then took action to live with her in the moment.. make her desires a reality...
Love is when you have the ability to empathize - with another person - to understand what is real to them...
and then -
that Love is given even more depth -
by taking action...doing what you can for them...
(taking action is not always a necessary part of showing love - sometimes just the empathy is enough..sometimes, it HAS to be..showing you that you really do understand..and feeling with the person..)
the 'taking action' part - many times comes under - what you described as sacrifice...
and there is no question.. that in the situations when you do..take action..and especially the times when it necessitates some sacrifice..
the love grows..

September 09, 2006 5:13 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Awww!
You're right- braving Titanic water is love!


To simplify your eloquent post:
Love is all in the doing!

September 09, 2006 7:37 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I couldn't agree more. I remember watching Fiddler on the Roof for the first time and thinking, Wow. They never even talk about it, but those two love each other more at this point, after all the work and sacrifice, than they ever have. And everyday things like taking a chilly swim - or doing the laundry, even - is just one example of the things that so many of us do for each other, to demonstrate and build that kind of love..

September 10, 2006 3:49 PM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

There is nothing as special as the love of a father to his daughter... so cute imagining the scenario!

Selfless giving = unconditional love.

September 12, 2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Cute how you connected that song. Nice thoughts about love.

September 13, 2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger anonym00kie said...

I agree with the love coming from selfless giving. i feel it in myself, those i take care of, i help.. i end up loving..theres a direct link.
but you wrote "Because we love Hashem and keeping his mitzvos is what makes Him happy. That's how we give to Him."
why would g-d need us to give to Him? He gave US the mitzvot for US, not for him. for us to use them as tools to get close to Him. we dont keep them to make Him happy, what could He gain from it.. unless you mean that by taking care of ourselves we are bringing him joy?

September 13, 2006 10:45 PM  
Blogger smb said...

Mookie, I think that is what he means. By keeping the mitzvot and taking care of our neshama, we bring Hashem joy.

September 25, 2006 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home