Thursday, October 19, 2006

Catcalls


I had an "interesting" experience this week. I had the unfortunate pleasure of driving on the streets of Brooklyn. On the bright side, I had the opportunity to observe a really beautiful frum blonde woman walking down the street. I have to admit, I couldn't help myself, I looked. Did I mention that she was really beautiful?
Anyway, a few seconds later, this same woman passed a construction site and the sound of whistles and catcalls could be heard, loud and clear. I couldn't see her face, but I can most certainly imagine her expression. After all, what woman wouldn't appreciate such attention (you do hear the sarcasm in my typing, right?).
Yes, I looked and yes, I appreciated what I saw, but I kept it to myself, and even if I decided that I couldn't keep it to myself, I would find a more intelligent way of getting my point across than obnoxious whistles and catcalls.

OK, here's my question......
WHAT ARE THESE GUYS THINKING???

I'm a guy and I really can't figure it out. Do they think that women enjoy it? Do they think that they make the woman's day because they are apparently letting her know, albeit in classic caveman fashion, that they think that she is attractive?
Ultimately, I think I may have hit on the answer. That's just it, they don't think. Times likes these, I'm just embarrassed to be a man.

7 Comments:

Blogger kasamba said...

I think catcalls are just another way for men to degrade women.

October 21, 2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger chaverah said...

I have no idea why they do it! Its feels so degrading for us women. In fact whenever I see a construction site I try to avoid it! its nice to have you on our side :)

October 23, 2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Mata Hari said...

they do it for the other guys they're with - it's a group bonding thing (i'm guessing)

October 24, 2006 8:55 PM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

funny
i always smile and say a cheery good morning!
lol

October 27, 2006 4:55 AM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

It's embarrassing. It's not just at construction sites. And sometimes these guys don't say a word but lick their lips or follow you with their eyes until you turn the corner. THe funniest time was when a guy on a bike was turning his head to look at me and 2 of my friends when another man opened his car door and the guy went slamming into it flying at least 6 feet in the air. We all stood there mouths gaping open and couldn't help but cracking up.

October 29, 2006 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was heavy all of my life, and when I dropped all of the weight, all of the sudden I began to get hit on constantly (not to toot my own horn) but all of the sudden I began to see where maybe some people (including my own) feel that weight is a security blanket. Stop lights and such were no longer safe...I hated it!

October 30, 2006 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its men showing off to each other as well as the fun some people have with the rather broad range of responses from women. Some women, mostly black ones I have noticed enjoy the whole "wassup hot mamma" routine while the crowd I flow with just ignores these random outbursts from horny men as childish and dumb.

January 25, 2007 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home